Episode 44 – Griff Jones and the IIHS
Griff Jones is an award-winning science teacher plucked from teaching high school to work with UFTeach – a program with the University of Florida designed to increase the quantity and quality of secondary mathematics and science teachers. Griff was also selected to work with the Insurance Institute for Highway Safety to make two videos about understanding the science behind car crashes: Understanding Car Crashes: When Physics Meets Biology & Understanding Car Crashes: It’s Basic Physics. Griff talks to us about the videos, the IIHS, and their many resources for science teachers.
Make sure to visit Griff and the Insurance Institute for Highway Safety at the 2010 NSTA Conference on Science Education in Philadephia.
- (IIHS) Insurance Institute for Highway Safety
- IIHS Vehicle Ratings
- IIHS Videos: “Understanding Car Crashes: When Physics Meets Biology” & “Understanding Car Crashes: It’s Basic Physics”
- 50th Anniversary crash test video: 1959 Chevrolet Bel Air & 2009 Chevrolet Malibu
- 2010 NSTA Conference on Science Education in Philadephia
- Griff Jones – UFTeach Biography (pdf)
- Griff Jones – Products from Science Kit
- ‘Galileo’ Subs for Instructor in UFTeach Lab
- UF Today: Two former high school teachers show their college students how to teach math and science. The first lesson is to have fun
From Paul G. Hewitt, the developer of the “Conceptual Physics” curriculum and author of the best selling text book by the same name: “The video “Understanding Car Crashes: It’s Basic Physics” and accompanying teacher’s guide are wonderful. The pacing is excellent, the coverage fascinating, and most importantly, the physics is correct. It’s a first rate teaching package. I give it five stars!” (www.iihs.org/videos/default.html)
Direct download: LOL44.mp3