As the nation thaws out from record lows, we thought it would be a good time to chat with meteorologist Jeff Last about our cold weather. Jeff is a Warning Coordination Meteorologist with the National Weather Service in Green Bay, WI. Listen as Jeff explains the Polar Vortex, and discusses our cold weather and atmospheric phenomena that can be observed at these low temperatures.
- NWS Warning and Forecast Program
- Twitter: @JeffLast
- NPR: What Ts The Polar Vortex and Why Is It Doing This To Us?
- Atmospheric Optics: Parahelia
- It’s So Cold in the Midwest, a Pot of Boiling Water Turned Instantly to Snow (Slate.com)
- Ok America, You Can Stop Throwing Pots of Boiling Water in the Air (Slate.com)
Featured Image courtesy of AJ Batac. Taken 25 Jan 2013, Accessed 9 Jan 2014. http://www.flickr.com/photos/ajbatac/8413645133/sizes/o/. Creative Commons Attribution. Image was cropped.